Elkmont Elementary supports EL students through our ESL Program funded by Title III. Our program goals are based on established principles of language development outlined in WIDA’s document “The Cornerstone of WIDA’s Standards: Guiding Principles of Language Development” as well as federal and state legal and educational guidelines. For more information, visit the WIDA website.
Our EL teacher, Mrs. Terry Whitt, can be reached at 256-732-4291 or email@example.com
Definition of an English Learner (EL):
An EL is a student:
- who is aged 3-21;
- who is enrolled or preparing to enroll in an elementary or secondary school;
- who was not born in the United States OR whose native language is a language other than English; and
- where difficulties in speaking, reading, writing, or understanding the English language may be sufficient to deny the individual:
- the ability in meeting the State's proficient level of achievement on State assessments described in section 1111(b)(3);
- the ability to successfully achieve in classrooms where the language of instruction is English; or
- the opportunity to participate fully in society.
Resources for EL Parents and Families
Alabama EL Resources
ELP Standards & Assessment